Monday, February 25, 2013

Story Time: Surgery


In my life, the Holy Spirit has guided me so much, and I don’t know where I would be without that help. A huge experience I had where the Holy Spirit was unmistakably part of the answer happened just last year. 

 So for having spina bifida, I have it so easy compared to most, but unfortunately, my nerves were still affected and so I deal with multiple symptoms every day. As I got older some of my issues started to get worse and doctors never really had a good answer for me. I started taking medicine that would incapacitate me for an entire day, but I had to take it in order to live the rest of the days of the week. I lived like this for 7 to 8 years, always living a 6 day week or even a 5 day week. I missed out on a ridiculous amount of holidays and trips and going to school, and it was not fun. At all. 

5 months before I met my husband, my body decided to not let that medicine work anymore and my body pretty much shut down on me. I had to drop out of college on medical leave for a year and a half it was so bad. I eventually found out that on top of my spina bifida problems, I can’t eat gluten, dairy, eggs, or yeast. It was ridiculous how HARD it was to eat "kosher", but finally being strong enough and being strict about my diet paid off, and I luckily started to feel a little better. It wasn’t much better, but it was enough to find my husband and make it work to actually go on dates with him and to do the courting process. That too is a huge prompting of the Holy Spirit, because at the time when I met him, I had no desire to try and date a guy because I was so focused on just living, but I was drawn to him so I decided to see what happened. 

After slowly bringing up piece-by-piece of my medical history, he didn’t run away so we were able to get married for time and all eternity on April 22, 2011 in the Mesa Temple. It was one of the best days of my life, but even then I was not doing well health wise at all. Luckily Tommy dealt with me so well, but my health started to decline more, and it just got worse and worse. So by December 2011, I was feeling quite down and depressed. 

One day in early December, my mom called me up and told me that an invitation to the annual Christmas Spina Bifida party came and she felt like maybe I should go. We always got invited but have never been to one before, especially since almost all of the attendees are kids and are going to be doing kid activities. I listened to her prompting though and decided to go to see if anyone knew any answers I didn’t about my symptoms I was dealing with. 

Tommy and I went not knowing a single soul, and sat down at a random table. The people were really nice, but there were no new answers for me there. I started to feel discouraged when Tommy told me to just stand up and walk around. I felt really stupid, but in a crowd of 500 people we stood up and just started walking. The auditorium was bigger than the size of a basketball gym, and we ended up walking from one side almost to the entire other side. I had no idea where I was going but I literally felt like my feet knew where to go, and so I just followed them. I never heard a voice telling me to stop, but I just knew instantly when I came upon a certain family to stop and talk to them. 
If knowing to stop and talk to this family wasn't miracle enough, within literally two minutes of chatting, the mom said that her daughter dealt with a lot of the same issues and she had a surgery for it and it changed her life. 
That moment, which was made possible through the promptings of the Holy Spirit, changed my life for ever. 
Talking to a random stranger gave me the name of the obscure surgery and the name of the doctor who wasn’t even in the field of medicine I needed help in, who performed it. 
This wonderful family helped guide me in what I needed to do to get this surgery done, and in May of 2012 I was able to get the surgery that I needed performed, and it has and will forever change my life.
 I will still have spina bifida until the day I die, but because the Holy Ghost lead me to a kind stranger, my life will be so much easier to deal with.
Yay for spiritual promptings!!!
My mother in law and sister law were nice enough to visit me in the hospital :)

2 comments:

  1. I love you! So glad we followed the spirit that day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the posts a'coming! Love you Taylor.
    What miracles!

    ReplyDelete